Thursday, July 22, 2010

Marinated Tofu Goodness

Hey all,
Yet another long-time-no-post, but I just hit upon something that I definitely had to share with you. Particularly since I've been advised at the recent unveg-friendly posts as of late, something to remedy. After all, I don't eat too much meat either, so it's probably good to make some good stuff.

This recipe is for marinated tofu - I've found that marinating and searing gives a whole mess of flavour to tofu, and definitely mitigates the blandness a lot of people associate with it.
Here's how.
You'll need:
  • 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp hot sauce (I used my trusty rooster stuff here)
  • 2 tbsp sesame oil
  • 1-2tbsp lemon juice
  • Pinch of chili flakes (just because)
  • 1/2 lb tofu, cut into squares about an inch across and half thick.
  • Optionally, some cooked rice and more soy sauce
First, mix the soy, hot, lemon, and chili together in a sealable container or plastic bag. Then add in the tofu cubes. Let this sit for a while. I gave it about three hours before the first batch, and the second batch later tonight will probably be even tastier.

Set some rice to cook, read a book, write the great american novel, whatever you want to do. Shake it up once in a while to make sure it's evenly marinating. When the three hours or so is up, heat up sesame oil in a pan on medium to high heat, and cook the tofu, flipping when it's nice and crispy.

This was probably the best tofu I've had in my life. Just had a lot of flavour, and great texture thanks to the marinating. You'll want to use either a firm tofu (with maybe some draining) or an extra firm tofu, so it takes in the flavours.

On the side, I tossed some cooked rice with some of the marinated, and fried it up in the leftover oil, adding a good dose of soy sauce. This also picked up some of the flavours, and crisped up some of the rice.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment